Upgrade / Fresh Install - best way to get the now official versions?

Hi all,

it’s great news that Unity now is an official Ubuntu flavor! Congratulations!
Let me ask, usually i stick with the LTS versions, but in this case it may be worth to jump to 22.10. Is there a recommended way / experiences, how to do so? (coming from 22.04.1)

• Is a fresh install needed?
  • If not, how best to upgrade?

Would this way be suitable?

sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade
sudo apt install update-manager-core
do-release-upgrade -d

Have fun everybody (-:

I certainly wouldn’t recommend that anyone adopt a beta version for “production” work. However, I’ll admit that I’ve loved Ubuntu Unity so far and the new beta has been very stable and reliable - but it’s pretty new and so, as with any beta, crashes may come and some could be painful. Part of the fun of beta-testing!

My suggestion, if you can do it, would be to load it into its own partition (or onto its own drive, if you have one) so you won’t risk losing anything, but also so that you can use it as much as you’d like.

I am using 22.10 since the beta release and the only I issue I came across so far is obs records a black screen. other than that everything works fine so far.

Hi all,

maybe i should have worded the headline of the topic better, as in: " Upgrade / Fresh Install - best way to install the now official versions"

So, @mcellius in your case, suggesting to install in a different partition, obviously you did/recommend a fresh install. But @DummyBear did you an fresh install, or update to the beta. And if you did an update, how? The way thats quoted in my entry post?

Still would be interested to understand, if an update from 22.04.1 to 22.10 (beta) is recommended or rather a fresh install. (Recommended referring to the method of changing to the new distro, not referring to the question if an update to a beta is recommended.)

Best, me (-:

I’m of the same mindset and would also like an answer.
Any Ubuntu Unity dev’s scour these forums that could answer a pretty basic question?